Furniture is an investment for a home and is usually used for a long time.
This makes it important to do research before choosing pieces. Buying the wrong furniture or low-quality pieces will not only be a waste of time, but also money. The right furniture can make or break a room’s décor. If you’re buying furniture, it’s critical that you learn how to prevent some of the most common furniture buying mistakes around.
- Don’t forget to measure. This might seem obvious, but many don’t measure a furniture piece or their room before buying. Also be sure to measure the staircase, hallway or door entering a room to ensure they will fit when moving the piece inside.
- Don’t focus on trends too much. While many do enjoy a modern design, it may not always be the right choice for a particular room and its décor. You want to choose long-lasting pieces that can be used despite paint color changes or other elements.
- Keep color in mind. Bring a swatch of the floor, walls or other furniture pieces in the room so you can pair things perfectly. It’s always advisable to look at furniture in person as color swatches online don’t end up what they seem a lot of the time.
- Don’t impulse buy. Carefully plan your furniture purchase with cost as a factor on your list of what to buy and not determining every piece you choose.
- Test furniture. Be sure to test drawers on a dresser, sit on a chair, inspect the frame of a bed or a sofa or lay on a bed. All of these things will bring out the flaws in a piece before choosing to bring it home with you.
- Don’t hesitate to ask questions. A salesperson can give you all the details you’re looking for in terms of a furniture piece. Ask as many questions as you can. This allows you to make the most informed decision and to get the best furniture that money can buy.